‘I’ve had enough of this’ – Lewis Hamilton on his ‘tough’ final year with Mercedes.
51 races since his last Grand Prix victory, Lewis Hamilton says he’s had “enough” of not winning and wants to help Mercedes to get back to the top step of the podium.
07 May 2024 1:00 PM
Michelle Foster
PlanetF1.com

As such Hamilton’s winless streak is up to 51, his longest-ever barren spell in a sport in which he has won 103 Grands Prix and seven World titles. He’s had “enough” of it. “It’s been tough, it’s been a really challenge,” he told CBS News. “It could’ve been worse. It’s been a really transitional period where there has been a lot of team bonding, really low moments within the group which then ultimately bring you together.”

“There’s been a lot of vulnerability within the team with all of us and it’s really been a growing experience. It’s been tough of course, we exist to win. When you’re not winning, your perspective has to shift, and it’s just then been about chasing and it’s about improvement.”

“It’s about coming together. How can we make improvements? How can we get back to where we want to be? And rallying everyone up, I actually really enjoyed that experience. But three years in now, we’re like, ‘okay, I’ve had enough of this, let’s get back to where we belong’.”

‘It’s been tough of course, we exist to win”;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...-year-mercedes

Martin Brundle concerned for Lewis Hamilton after watching footage from camera on his car
Lewis Hamilton spent years at one with his Mercedes cars during the height of their success, but Martin Brundle spotted how that has changed during a session at the Miami Grand Prix
19:55 Sun, 05 May 2024.
By Daniel Moxon Senior F1 Writer
The Mirror

Martin Brundle pointed out how much Lewis Hamilton is struggling with his Mercedes car after watching footage from his onboard camera at the Miami Grand Prix. The Sky Sports pundit made the observation after watching qualifying for the Sprint race in Florida. Mercedes have upgraded their cars this weekend but that didn't help either of them to make the top 10 on the starting grid for the short-form race.

Instead, Hamilton could only go 12th fastest, one place behind team-mate George Russell. His efforts were not helped by contact with the wall during one of his flying laps in SQ2, but the behaviour of his car had caught Brundle 's eye even before that moment. Having watched Hamilton be in total command of his Mercedes cars for so many years, when they were the best on the F1 grid, former driver Brundle couldn't hide his surprise at what he had witnessed.

He said on the live broadcast: "Blimey, he made more mistakes in that little sector than he used to in a season. He was really fighting the car hard all the way through corners that are just 60 miles per hour."

‘Martin Brundle pointed out how much Lewis Hamilton is struggling’;

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/formu...undle-32741506

Terrified Martin Brundle 'nearly taken away' by Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes
Martin Brundle was caught up in a dramatic grid walk moment ahead of the Miami Grand Prix on Sunday.
21:26, Sun, May 5, 2024
By Harry Smith
Daily and Sunday Express

Martin Brundle was left with a mighty shock on his grid walk ahead of the Miami Grand Prix on Sunday when Lewis Hamilton's Mercedes car was fired up in front of him. The legendary Sky Sports reporter was navigating a star-studded grid at the Miami International Autodrome when he came across the rear of the W15 parked in its grid slot.

Brundle started to explain some of the technical elements of the car when the Mercedes engineers decided to fire up the engine, which backfired and caught the broadcaster off guard with his hand near the W15's rear lights.

In response to the loud backfiring noise, Brundle jumped back before letting out a startled laugh. "These are the lights you see flashing and that just backfired and nearly took me away!" He then added: "Luckily it hit me on the knee and not anywhere else when that Mercedes of Lewis Hamilton backfired," before strolling forward to joke with one of the engineers.

'Nearly taken away';

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/f1-a...ilton-Mercedes

Lewis Hamilton gives blunt response to Mercedes ‘fourth fastest’ F1 team assessment
06 May 2024 3:15 PM
Jamie Woodhouse
PlanetF1.com

For Mercedes, Hamilton’s P6 finish and Russell’s P8 was the best they could manage. That had Russell claiming that Mercedes are “the fourth-fastest team at the moment”, as Hamilton was then asked for his response on that assessment, one which he did not want to entertain.

Asked by media after the Miami GP whether he agreed with Russell’s claim, Hamilton replied: “I don’t know. I don’t really see the point, the reason, the importance of that. You’ve seen where we qualified, you’ve seen where we are in the championships. So make your assumptions from that.”

“I had a good race today,” Hamilton confirmed, “I didn’t have the pace of the guys ahead of me, but I was just able to hold on with DRS. “But, if it wasn’t for the DRS, they probably would have…they did start to pull away towards the end. But still, to keep them in distance is a really great feeling. But also, I was on an offset tyre [strategy], but not to Checo though, so I was actually on the same tyre as him.”

‘Blunt response’;

https://www.planetf1.com/news/lewis-...claim-response

Hamilton thrilled with ‘tough battles’ in Miami while Russell rues ‘pretty rubbish race from start to finish’
06 May 2024
Formula One - Official Site

It was a busy afternoon for Hamilton in Miami, as the seven-time world champion initially struggled for pace on the hard tyre in the opening stint before engaging in a fierce fight with the Haas of Nico Hulkenberg across several laps.

Asked after jumping out of the car if the race had been fun for him, a smiling Hamilton responded: “So much fun. I’ve really enjoyed this weekend race-wise. It’s been a lot of fun on track, [I’ve had] really great, tough, close battles. I mean, going out to Turn 11, up against the wall, wheels locked – I was like, ‘oh jeez, this could be either a big crash into this corner or I’m going by’.”

“So I love that I had that, in zero fear in that moment, so I’m super grateful for that. Then to be able to hold onto the [Red] Bulls, to a Red Bull, was really quite cool, great job by my team.”

‘Tough battles’;

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/a...B29RO1xj575d3Y